Marconi Wireless Stations
Communications are critical
in war and when the First World War broke out the latest
development was long wave radio telegraphy. Two wireless
stations had just been built by the Marconi Wireless Telegraph
Company at Waunfawr, near Caernarfon and at Tywyn and had
started test transmissions across the Atlantic and to other
countries. These stations were taken over by the government
for war use, but experimentation continued, including the
development of short-wave wireless transmissions.
The station at Waunfawr was a transmitting station, opened
in 1914. The Tywyn station was the receiver station and
also controlled the transmitting station. The transmitter
building and staff accommodation building still survive
at Waunfawr, as well as numerous concrete bases for the
aerial that ran up the hill of Cefndu. The main receiver
building at Tywyn was converted into two dwellings and
the staff accommodation was sold off but the houses are
still known as the Marconi Bungalows. Some traces of the
aerial on the hill above also appear to survive.
One of the first Marconi wireless stations was built in
Holyhead to communicate with ships and some evidence was
found that this was also used during the First World War.
Certainly in use during the war was a wireless station
was constructed near Llaneilian to communicate with the
airships from Llangefni.
The transmitter house at the Marconi Wireless Station
Transmitter aerial base on Cefndu
Transmitter aerial bases on Cefndu