Cymraeg

Ysgol yr Hendre, Llanbeblig, Caernarfon

An early medieval cemetery and Roman construction camp

Introduction | Excavation Results | Neolithic Pit | Roman Pit Ovens and Possible Construction Camp | Early Medieval Cemetery

Medieval Features | 19th and 20th Century | Acknowledgements and Further Reading

The Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries

Glasshouses

In the southern part of the site were the remains of a glasshouse defined by a low brick wall. Six metres east of the end of this building was a small brick structure with a concrete floor and 3 steps curving down into the building, which was set about 1m into the ground. It contained a substantial brick structure, which probably supported a boiler, and functioned as a boiler house to heat the glasshouse to which it was linked by a pipe protected under large slate slabs. There was also a third brick building that appeared to have been a potting shed and the remains of a possible coal store.

On the 1888 first edition 25 inch OS map a track is shown running from Llanbeblig Road to a building, not labelled on this map but shown on the 1918 map as a glasshouse. By this time there were two other glasshouses and related structures. The Gallt-y-Sil Isolation Hospital for infectious diseases was built in 1904 opposite Tyddyn Pandy. It is possible that the glasshouses had been extended to provide food for the hospital. Aerial photography shows that the glasshouses had been entirely demolished by 1948 when small paddocks and allotments can be seen in the field.


Boiler room connected to glass house


Farmyard

A small farmyard was identified during the archaeological assessment of the site, when the remains of some brick buildings were visible. Further brick structures were exposed within the excavated area and the remains of a stone cottage were recorded.

The 1888 Ordnance Survey map shows three small buildings, the south-eastern-most of which was the stone cottage. There was also a well. By 1918 these three buildings had been converted into an enclosed rectangular farmyard, with additional buildings and small paddocks or gardens. The farm was still in existence in 1950, but had been demolished by 1966 (as seen on the aerial photographs).


Remains of small stone cottage