Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Trawsfynydd - Area 18 Coed Caersaeson (PRN 18284)


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

This area comprises mainly 20th century forestry on top of a rocky outcrop, with a number of 18th-19th century farms to the north. The area lies between two rivers, Afon Tafarn-helyg to east and Afon Prysor to west, and is bounded by Llyn Trawsfynydd to the south, and the edge of the project area to the north. The underlying rocky outcrop of Craig Gyfynys has been planted by sitka spruce and this comprises the largest part of the area. The six farms in the northern part of the area (including Caersaeson, Ysgubor-hên, Llwyn) are all recorded on the 1840 tithe map, clustered together in a relatively small area surrounded by a pattern of small, irregular fields with an area of woodland on the edge of what is now Llyn Trawsfynydd (the area now under the lake is taken up with much larger (presumably more-productive) fields. The then-main road to Harlech which led from the predecessor to the A470, passes through the area, more or less along the line of the current road which forms the northern edge of the area.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Forestry, farmsteads

Most of the area comprises a large rocky outcrop which is mainly covered by modern forestry, which is currently being harvested. The farms just within the northern bonds of the area appear to be 18th or early 19th century in date.


 

Back to Trawsfynydd Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol