Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Trawsfynydd - Area 15 Unenclosed mountain north of Cwm Prysor (PRN 18281)


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

This character area comprises a large block of virtually ‘untouched’ upland to the north of Cwm Prysor, starting at the eastern end with the huge, imposing crags of Y Garn above the railway and extending to Llyn yr Oerfel in the west. All of this area (and extending to the south into area 14) is shown as ‘Mignant Common’ on the 1840 Trawsfynydd and 1841 Maentwrog tithe maps. According to the latter, the fort of Tomen-y-mûr (area 17) lay right on the edge of the Common. The principle ‘human-made’ remains are associated with Braich-ddû slate quarry (above Tomen y Mur) and a couple of disused mines along Bwlch y Llû. The southern limits of the area are, in the main, defined by the line of the Bala-Ffestiniog railway (see above – area 12).

Key historic landscape characteristics

Unenclosed area of upland

The area is characterised by its open, unenclosed nature which contains no significant features relating to the historic environment. It is without even the usual large enclosures defined by straight stone walls, with the exception of a small area of encroachment evident at the eastern end of Llyn yr Oerfel around Tir-y-mynydd. The southern limits of the area are, in the main, defined by the line of the Bala-Ffestiniog railway although this lies in area 12.


 

 

 

Back to Trawsfynydd Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol