Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Mawddach - Area 22 Llwyngwril (PRN 18352)

 

 

Historic background

Llwyngwril was one of the six medieval townships in the project area, and there is a reference in the Nannau papers (NLW A2, dated 1436) t the release by Llywelyn ap Evan ap Owain of Llwyngwril to Mourning bychan ap Howell Self of a tenement called Tyddyn yn y Fron Goch in the township of Llwyngwril'. Unfortunately this place-name cannot be traced. There are no buildings, and certainly no nucleated settlement, shown hereabouts on the 1839 Llangelynnin tithe map.

The village is a ribbon settlement which stretches out along the main road, and is largely a product of the post-railway (1867) age, when it developed as a seaside resort. The buildings display a wide range of styles and construction, developing outwards (and in time) from a central core around the bridge which carries the road across the Afon Gwril (see photograph) where there are solid, stone-built terraces, two- and three-storeyed and many early 19th-century in date, a public house and shops, to the north in particular where there are stone- and brick-built detached and semi-detached villas, set in their own grounds. Like many of the late settlements on the western coast of Wales, the railway station (which was usually responsible for the settlements' development) was actually located outside (and west) of the actual settlement.

One of the prominent and more surprising features of the village is the Quaker burial ground towards the southern end in Bryn Tallwyn. By the late 17th century, many families in the area were Quakers, although this village is principally 19th and 20th century in date. One of the prominent local people buried here was Dr George Walker (18087-84) who developed the quarries in the Panteinion valley (area 15).


Key historic landscape characteristics

19th century ribbon development, Quaker cemetery

Llwyngwril is a largely late 19th and20th century ribbon development set out along the main A493 road, with some nucleation towards its southern end where the road crosses the Afon Gwril, and where the earliest origins of the settlement lie. The houses towards the southern end are mainly terraced while further north they give way to large, Victorian detached and semi-detached villas built in a variety of styles. The Quaker cemetery here is a distinctive historical feature.

 

Back to Mawddach Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol