Historic Landscape Characterisation

Dysynni Valley – Area 8 Llanegryn PRN 28657


The bridge and village of Llanegryn



Historical background

Llanegryn church is the centre of one of the historic parishes of the Register area, though it lies some little way from the main nucleation of Llanegryn village. The church itself, listed in the 1253 Taxatio, is Medieval; most of the fabric probably dates from the fourteenth century. It seems likely that Llanegryn grew up as a mainly unplanned ribbon settlement where a secondary road crosses a stream, although as noted below it seems likely that the Peniarth estate constructed some of the dwellings in it. Sixteenth century documents refer to the building of a new mill within the parish of Llanegryn and to the destruction of the old mill during the Glyndwr uprising; it is possible that these were situated within the present village, given that it offers an advantageous site for water-power. The Llanegryn tithe map of 1842 emphasises the mill-streams and indicates a small ribbon settlement. There are indications of a nucleated village in 1627, and in 1761 a Llanegryn shop sold snuff and tobacco imported from Caernarfon. The local historian David Williams suggests that most of the houses within the core of the village date from 1815 to 1870. He indicates that the distinctive estate cottages built by Peniarth at the eastern extremity of the village (Preswylfa, Bryn Meirion and Maes yr Haf) were built shortly after 1870.


Key historic landscape characteristics

Historic village

The church is situated at some little distance from the village, which effectively straggles along a secondary road leading to Peniarth and Pont y Garth at a point where it crosses a small tributary of the Dysynni. Llanegryn is fundamentally vernacular in character. Houses are mainly stone-built and two-storey, individually constructed but apparently of nineteenth century date.

An unusual feature of the village is the creation of a small square at its eastern end, formed by two chapels of different denominations and a shared vestry. A 1950s village hall, ‘Neuadd Egryn', completes the sense of a square, though it clashes with the Victorian architecture of the religious buildings, now out of use and decaying.

An exception to the unplanned character of the village is the two rows of Peniarth estate-sponsored houses at the eastern extremity of the village at SH 6035 0559, with their self-consciously faux-vernacular style and distinctive cast-iron windows. The modern dwellings to the east of these stand on the site of the tai pridd, the earth-walled houses.



Back to Dysynni Landscape Character Map



Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol