Historic Landscape Characterisation

Dolgellau - Area 9 Fields around Ty'n-y-Llwyn (PRN 19188)

 

 

Historic background

There is no evidence for prehistoric activity in this area. However, much of the area was owned and farmed by the monks of Cymer Abbey after 1209, when it became part of the abbey demesne. The pattern of enclosures which characterises this area is part of the post-medieval enclosure of the ffridd, which also extends across areas 08 and 10.

The disused mine shown on the modern map is shown on the 1901 2nd edition OS map as the Wnion Gold Mine, complete with its own tramway and infrastructure, including a reservoir for power production. The remains relating to the mine extend northwards out of the current project area. Blaen y cwm and Caegwernog are shown as working farms. A minor road leads up to the farm of Caegwernog (there is another inhabited a little further up): the other farms within the area are now largely derelict.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Drystone wall enclosures, farms and buildings, mining remains

This small area above the woodland of area 08 contains the (mainly ruined) remains of a number of farmsteads below the uninhabited open mountainside of Garn Fach. The drystone wall enclosures are maintained in much of the area (particularly the lower slopes). The remains of 19th-century mining are southern outliers from the more extensive complexes around Berth Lwyd to the north (largely outside the project area, although some are included in area 10).

 

Back to Dolgellau Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol