Historic Landscape Characterisation

Dolgellau - Area 3 Field system - Ffridd Llwyn (PRN 19182)

 

 

 

Historic background

The area is already loosely defined on the 1838 tithe map by the elliptical road scheme extant today, but contains fewer straight field walls (which were presumably property rather than individual field boundaries), and the area was not as distinctive as it is today. It is recorded as being in the township of Dolgellau and helpfully referred to as 'fields'! Rhydwen at the western end was the only settlement shown here, and the area extended further east under what is now expanding Dolgellau. By 1901 (OS 2nd series map) the field pattern was fully developed and as we see it today, and some encroachment had started on its eastern end by the expanding town. There are a couple of stone field barns within the area.


Key historic landscape characteristics

Drystone walls, regular pattern, pasture

This is a small, discrete area of regular fields, defined by a series of straight drystone walls, laid out at right-angles to produce a grid-like pattern, superimposed on a series of rocky outcrops which appear to be largely unchanged from the tithe and early OS maps. The system, largely surrounded by the secondary road, is presumably post-medieval in origin, and the area does not contain any earlier evidence for settlement or agriculture. The land within the fields is all improved pasture (unlike that in the surrounding areas to the north and south (04 and 16).


Back to Dolgellau Landscape Character Map

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol