Historic Landscape Characterisation

Dolgellau - Area 13 Llanfachreth (PRN 19192)

 

 

Historic background

At odds with the surrounding dispersed traditional farming settlement pattern, the nucleated village of Llanfachraeth is a notable exception within the project area. The church forms the focal point of the village (see photograph): it has medieval origins (as one of only three in the project area mentioned in the 1254 Valuation of Norwich) but in its present form is 19th-century, built under the patronage of the Nannau estate (area 11), and many of the listed buildings in particular are of a distinctive 'estate-derived' style.

The 1846 Llanfachreth tithe map shows just three houses (to the east of the church and north of the road) here, with a larger (scattered) settlement pattern to the east, outside the project area. By 1901 (OS 2nd series map), the village had grown, although it was still very small - settlement (which included the Ty-uchaf public house) was concentrated around the church, but there were other buildings - Ty-isaf opposite, and Capel Bethel, a school and a smithy along the road to the east.

The map evidence ties in with the couple of dated houses in the village (1809 and 1812): nothing appears to be much earlier. There is no suggestion of formal planning in the village, however, which retains a vernacular character principally spread out along a single road, until the building of a small council estate (to the north of this road) in the late twentieth century. It now has its own ‘suburban’ development in the form of a string of bungalows on its edge.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Nineteenth-century estate village

The principal historic interest here lies in the range of varied 19th-century vernacular terraced buildings and single houses which are the result of the most recent period of flourishing patronage of the Nannau estate.

 

 

Back to Dolgellau Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol