Historic Landscape Characterisation

Creuddyn and Arllechwedd – Area 6 Creuddyn PRN 15803


SH 702795 looking south. An expansive aerial view which centres on the Vardre (Deganwy castle) which lies within the Creuddyn area (area 6), surrounded by housing estates which form part of Deganwy/Llandudno Junction (area 5), and looking across the river to the town of Conwy (area 7) in the top right-hand corner



Historical background

An extensive area dominated by parkland and pasture, defined to the west by the urban areas of Deganwy and Llandudno Junction (area 5), to the north by the urban development of Llandudno (area 2), and the higher ground of the Little Orme and Nant y Gamar (area 3), to the east by Penrhyn Bay (area 23). The Bryn Pydew ridge (area 22) intrudes into the area.

An area rich in mythological associations, particularly the story of Taliesin and Maelgwn Gwynedd, who are traditionally connected with the Roman and post-Roman at Deganwy, consisting of two precipitous hillocks and the saddle between them. This formed the site of Deganwy castle, built by Robert of Rhuddlan c. 1080. The hill was held alternately by the Welsh and the Anglo-Normans until 1263, and part was granted to the Cistercians of Aberconwy.

From the late Medieval period, the area was dominated by the Mostyn family, whose seat lay at Gloddaeth, which lies within the area. The Mostyns also owned Bodysgallen, and they were to be instrumental in the development of Llandudno in the nineteenth century. Lesser families included the recusant Pughs of Penrhyn Creuddyn, who sheltered missionary priests. Gloddaeth dates in part from the sixteenth century, and is now a boarding school.

There was some shale quarrying at Pabo from 1911 to 1932.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Parkland , gentry houses, substantial farmsteads, limestone walls

The area is dominated by Gloddaeth, formerly the seat of the Mostyns, now a boarding school, and the substantial farms associated with it. Though Gloddaeth is the only landed seat within the area, Bodysgallen, Penrhyn and Marl are all within a mile of it. The churches of Eglwys Rhos and Llangystennin are both ancient foundations.

A marked feature of the landscape is the stone-built watch-tower, believed to date from the seventeenth century, at Bryniau.

The only pre-twentieth century nucleated community is at Glanwydden, which consists of a public house and a cluster of houses around a cross-roads. The nearby windmill dates from 1704.




Back to Creuddyn and Arllechwedd Landscape Character Map


Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol