Historic Landscape Characterisation

Creuddyn and Arllechwedd – Area 5 Deganwy/Llandudno Junction urban development PRN 15806


SH 779791 looking east. Showing some of the fine Victorian cast-iron shop fronts in Deganwy facing the mouth of the Afon Conwy.



Historical background

A low-lying area which in its present form is largely a creation of the growth of the railway network. The area in the south-western part of the Creuddyn peninsula which is now covered by the nineteenth and twentieth century dwellings of Deganwy and Llandudno Junction is known to have been granted to the Cistercian monastery of Aberconwy by Llywelyn. The monastic presence is recorded in the name Sarn y Mynach, by which the A47 is known at the point where it crosses the main line railway and the Afon Ganol. Another axis which predates the Modern period is the north-south road through Llandudno Junction known as Marl Lane which formerly connected the dwelling Marl (2021) with the ferry. The Telford post road passes through the character area, which includes the embankment over the Conwy on which the Telford suspension bridge and the Stephenson tubular bridge are built.

The main-line railway from Chester to Bangor was opened in 1848, and the branch to Llandudno in 1858; Llandudno Junction station was opened in 1860, and was upgraded several times, including the construction of a locomotive shed in the 1880s. The construction of the branch-line railway to Llandudno, opened in 1858, made possible the development of a resort on the western-facing shores of the peninsula at Deganwy; a station was opened in 1866. After the opening of the branch line railway to Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1879, the railway company also began the construction of a wharf to ship the slate at Deganwy in 1882, using spoil from the Belmont tunnel in Bangor . This saw comparatively little use, and now services pleasure craft.

The settlements have continued to grow into the twentieth century. Whereas Deganwy has been largely a holiday and retirement area, Llandudno Junction was also the home to a considerable number of railway employees and more recently to workers in the Hotpoint factory. The North Wales Weekly News building is also a prominent local landmark


Key historic landscape characteristics

19th and 20th century houses, shops, chapels, transport routes

The area is characterised by suburban housing stock which dates almost entirely from the late nineteenth or twentieth centuries, and is constructed largely of brick. Roofing materials are a mixture of tiles and slates. A distinctive feature is the row of houses built by the Llanfairfechan architect North at SH 781 804, which makes distinctive use of rustic slates, some of them from the Tal y Fan quarry (area 24). Here and there earlier houses or chapels built out of local limestone and roofed with more common commercially available slates are evident. The shops on the front at Deganwy incorporate an attractive cast-iron canopy over the pavement.

The area is also characterised by the transport routes which pass through it - the Telford road, the railway, the modern A55T, which passes under the Conwy in a tunnel, and the quays at Deganwy and by Conwy bridge. As well as the two bridges over the Conwy, there are a number of other items of transport infrastructure, such as the signal box at Deganwy, the locomotive sheds at the Junction, and in various bridges. Llandudno Junction station is an unusual example for the area of a Victorian station-building with Modernist accretions, and the Modernist style is also evident in the extensive Hotpoint factory at SH 803 777, now disused.




Back to Creuddyn and Arllechwedd Landscape Character Map


Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol