Historic Landscape Characterisation

Caernarfon/Nantlle – Area 29 Glan Gwna holiday village PRN 15728


A view of the entrance to this caravan park.



Historical background

One of the smaller local estates, now a holiday village and caravan park. The garden may date from the early nineteenth century; Fenton in 1813 states that the grounds and their ‘winding walks' were laid out by Arthur Wyatt, nephew of Benjamin. ‘Plantations' and a small house ‘handsomely fitted up' are mentioned by Hyde Hall in 1809-11, when it was owned by Thomas Lloyd of Shrewsbury . It was inhabited at one stage by a Mr Greaves, probably the tenant of various slate quarries who came to develop Llechwedd Quarry in Blaenau Ffestiniog, who is believed to have moved to Aberglaslyn Hall. Hyde Hall also confirms that the area included a fulling mill and a paper mill.


Key historic landscape characteristics

Estate and gardens, now caravan park

The area is dominated by chalets, mobile home and caravans laid out along the Afon Seiont. The course of the former Caernarfon to Llanberis railway line passes through the estate. The grounds are wooded. The water features probably pre-date the grounds and may originally have been constructed for an industrial purpose: a fulling mill, of which the site is no longer apparent, is marked on Hyde Hall's sketch map of 1809-11. The area includes the site of the Bodrhual mill, attested in 1597.


Back to Caernarfon-Nantlle Landscape Character Map


Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol