Historic Landscape Characterisation

Bala and Llyn Tegid - Area 18 Bala golf course (PRN 24718)

 

 

 

Historic background

Llanycil tithe map (1842) covers the area north of the lake, including this area. It is reasonably detailed and shows a more intricate pattern of small fields fields, particularly here, than survives today. The Ordnance Survey 2nd edition map (1888) shows this area to be predominantly rock and scrub with scattered patches of woodland. In contrast, the surrounding landscape at this time existed much as it does today, made up of neatly arranged agricultural holdings, enclosed fields and farmsteads.

Bala Golf Club was relocated at Penlan in 1928 from the banks of the River Dee, where flooding made playing practically impossible during the winter months. The present clubhouse was built in 1973 as part of improvement works. The current course is 9 holes and nearly 5000 yards in length.

The 1946 RAF vertical aerial photographs (106G/UK 1468 2472) show the golf course distinct from unimproved waste scrub with bushes, mountain terrain with few large enclosures and fewer trees.

 

Key historic landscape characteristics

Golf course, leisure, scattered woods and rocky outcrops

Bala golf course covers the ground around the top of Bronydd Fron-Feuno at the north end of the lake, just to the west of Bala town. Rising to around 300m OD, the course enjoys spectacular views and makes use of the natural landscape to provide golfers with the necessary hazards and difficulties of a more varied kind than the usual man-made hazards. Consequently a good proportion of the historic landscape features such as rock outcrops, moorland vegetation and broad-leaved trees have been retained in the rough ground between the manicured greens.


Back to Bala and Llyn Tegid Landscape Character Map

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol