Historic Landscape Characterisation

Bala and Llyn Tegid - Area 12 Llangower (PRN 24712)

 

 

Historic background

Llangower is depicted on the 1844 tithe map as a very small, nucleated settlement, strategically placed at the end of a narrow defile running back into the hills, on flat land above the southern side of the lake, astride the former turnpike road from Dinas Mawddwy to Y Bala/Corwen. The settlement then simply comprised a churchyard and rectory with garden (as today), with the road following the same route (the railway was obviously not then in existence). The small, single-cell church, dedicated to St Cywair, was rebuilt in 1780-82 and restored in 1871. It contains one of the last horse biers to be in use (reputedly until the late 19th century) in north Wales. The churchyard is roughly square and is cut into the natural slope. There is a large yew tree on a mound in the east section, and a low mound on the south side with older gravestones on and around it.

The 1948 RAF vertical aerial photographs (CPE/UK/2492 4072-6 11th March 1948) show Llangower as simply comprising the churchyard, the rectory and another house to the west of that. However, the strip of land running up alongside the Afon Glyn above appears much more heavily wooded than it is today.



Key historic landscape characteristics

Loosely nucleated settlement

The architectural character of this small, disparate settlement is fairly anonymous, with a scatter of 19th - and 20th -century buildings. There is actually very little to the village itself.


Back to Bala and Llyn Tegid Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol