Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Arfon - Area 7 Gallt Celyn

 


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

This area comprises the rocky, steep, enclosed land on the north-east facing slopes of Cefn-du, above Llyn Padarn, leading down to the lake. The area has evidence, in the form of stone-built hut circles and enclosures, of occupation in the prehistoric period, and again of post-medieval settlement and agriculture, but little obvious from in between these periods . It also includes Craig yr Undeb (Union Rock), where the North Wales Quarrymen’s Union met in 1874, as well as Caer Cerrig y Fran.

A number of farms have been established here since before the nineteenth century. The principal road dates from the period 1814 to 1826, but there is an earlier road which meanders along the tope of the ridge along the edge of the enclosed land.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Relict archaeology, small enclosures, wooded hillslopes

The area is in stark contrast to the top of Cefn-du (see area 45), in that it comprises an area of bracken and rock outcrops, mainly below the 200m contour, on which a number of small, isolated farms continue to function.

There are numerous small enclosures, the most prominent of which, in the upper part of the area, date from 18th/19th century settlement but some of which are undoubtedly prehistoric in origin.

The area is crossed by a meandering road linking the farms and cottages with Llanberis and the quarries (to the south-east) over the top towards Bryn-bras and (eventually) Caernarfon. This was superseded by the main (early nineteenth century) road which runs along its foot alongside the lake-side.

The woods at the base of the hill slopes are undated.

 

 

Back to Arfon Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol