Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Arfon - Area 48 Vaynol


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

A high-status site since Medieval times, when the land here formed part of Maenol Bangor, but the estate increasingly fell into secular hands. Much of it became the demesne of the Vaynol estate, granted by William of Orange to Smith, the speaker of the House of Commons. This became by the nineteenth century the second largest estate in Caernarvonshire, enclosed from the 1830s by one of the characteristic stone walls which surround the homes of the local nobility and wealthier gentry, and which also took in other local gentry houses which Vaynol brought up, such as Bryntirion. Treborth is a development of the railway period.

Key historic landscape characteristics

High-status dwelling and associated demesnes

As well as Vaynol Old Hall, in origin a late Medieval building, and the later Vaynol, an undistinguished structure of 1842 in which earlier work may be incorporated, the grounds include some very well preserved outbuildings dating from c. 1605 to the nineteenth centuries. The demesne grounds have been partly developed as a business park and office space; however, most of the Vaynol demesne has been little touched since the estate’s demise in the 1960s. Y Faenol Cyf. is currently in the process of establishing an architectural conservation school in the outbuildings with inward investment from the Slate Valleys Initiative/Menter Ardal y Lechen and the present owners of the site. Work is currently (January 2000) well advanced on conversion of some of the nineteenth century dairy buildings.

Back to Arfon Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol