Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Arfon - Area 47 Cegin Valley


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

The lower part of the Cegin valley, formerly part of Maenol Bangor and the site of the Medieval Bishop’s mill (Melin Esgob), since the eighteenth century part of the Penrhyn estate.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Narrow river valley

A narrow tree-grown defile within area 54 (q.v.), dominated by the viaduct which carried the Chester to Holyhead main line. The track-bed of the Penrhyn Quarry Railway of 1879, which ran alongside the river, has been converted into a cycle track

 

 

 

Back to Arfon Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol