Cymraeg

Historic Landscape Characterisation

Arfon - 13 Llandygái and Tal y Bont

 


© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005

Historic background

Llandygái is a planned estate village constructed at the gates of Penrhyn Castle around Llandygái church. Engravings of the late eighteenth century show only the church, the rectory and Ty Mawr, the home of the Penrhyn agent, William Williams Llandygái. The bulk of the village was constructed in the first half of the nineteenth century, with some development on the periphery since then.

The estate influence is also apparent in the adjacent settlement at Tal y Bont, though social housing has been erected here since the war.

There are also a number of industrial structures, including the sites of a number of mills, and a smithy associated with the original Penrhyn Railway of 1801, which ran through the village.

Key historic landscape characteristics

Estate village

The greater part of the two villages represent a polite reinterpretation of the vernacular tradition with many ornamental touches. These vary from the cottage dwellings near the church to the larger two storey houses with slate cladding on the upper floor, typical of late nineteenth century and Penrhyn and Vaynol estate architecture. The estate’s influence is also apparent in the absence of a public house and of a nonconformist chapel.

A more specifically industrial type of housing, though still ornamental, is evident in the row Tai’r Felin


Back to Arfon Landscape Character Map

 

 

Visit our social network sites
Ymwelwch a'n safleoedd rhwydwaith cymdeithasol