21 Plas Weunydd

Historic background

An industrialist’s house and garden, constructed in 1870 for the Greaves family, tenants of Llechwedd slate quarry, on the site of Ty Crwn, an earlier agricultural dwelling. The site lies on the very edge of the slate tips, appropriately, and is well-hidden.

Key historic landscape characteristics

19th-century industrialist’s house and garden.

A substantial late 19th-century industrialist’s house and ‘Alpine’ garden, making extensive use of pine trees. The house itself (SH 6983 4729) has been extensively altered to become a restaurant and exhibition centre for the Quarry Tours business and for Llechwedd Quarry. Most of the garden has become a car- and coach-park < back to the map

© Crown copyright. All rights reserved, Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 100017916, 2005